Holiday cottage „Medņi”

medniarpukem.jpgMedņi is Latvian farmstead with two centuries of history. In this harmonious, nature and human created site, we have created a holiday cottage, where you can take your time to relax, get the energy, put your thoughts together and find inspiration! For Medņi guests we show our ancestors’ power of will and balance restorement with the energy of the oaks. Holiday cottage Medņi is the member of professional association of rural tourism “Lauku ceļotājs” since 2003. Medņi is located 70 km from Riga, 23 km from Saulkrasti and 20 km from Limbaži. Comfortable driveway by two routes, 4.6 km from the center of Vidriži or 3.1 km from Igates castle. (Map). It’s possible to stay in Medņi in three ways: in a holiday cottage, in tents or caravans in Scout meadow.

In spacious yard of Medņi estate there are several rest areas, eather on a sunny meadow, or on a hammock in the shade of maple trees. There is a starki.jpgcozy fireplace and picnic area by the pond. On a shady bank of a pond is located Medņi Holy Oak, this is energetically the most active place of the area. There is a children's playground with a sandbox and swings. There is a place for active games in the meadow, next to the orchard. In the old stone house ruins, stack up stork family nest. At late summer garden is full with redcurrant, gooseberries and blackcurrant. From Medņi across the field, a trail leads to 200 m. remote, river Aģe and Aģe Grand Oak. To feel the Latvian most sacred tree - oak strength, enjoy the fields and natural beauty of meadows and life rhythm of the forest, watch the birds and wild animals, we offer to go on a 2.9 km. long Poweraok hike.

Staying in holiday cottage

Medņi guests have a log house, built in the thirties at their service. Here you can feel the cozy Latvian farmstead spirit. A part of the house with a separate entrance is available for guests. Five people can easily stay in two bedrooms with kitchen, dining room, bathroom and toilet. One of the bedrooms also has a crib. Two additional places are also available. The kitchen has a fridge, gas stove and all necessary dishes and cooking utensils. At the attic of the house there is a household museum with the ancestors’ rural room.


Staying with tents and trailers

For Medņi guests, who wish to stay in tents or in their car caravans, we offer camping in Scout meadow. Meadow is surrounded by stately lime and hazel and a new row of birch groves, where romance lovers will find hidden tent places. There is a d rinking water connection, electricity, and toilet in the meadow. From the campsite you can watch the sun slowly setting behind the forest crowns. From Scout meadow across the field, a trail leads to 200 m. remote river Aģe, where camping guests can have a wash in the morning and in the evening.



Pricelist for season 2017



Poweroak hike donations

Rent of the cottage for up to 5 persons. 3 room, kitchen, shower room, toilet, yard with relaxation and picnic places and children playground, hike in the forest:


                                                   day (up to 6 days)




                                                   for more than 7 days 10% discount


Stay for one person up to 12 hours (bead, shower, toilet)
20% child discount if under 11 years old


Stay for one person in extra spot up to 12 hours (sleeping on a foldaway bed or mattress, shower, toilet)
20% child discount if under 11 years old


Stay for one pet per day


Rent of the cottage during Midsummer eve (20.06.-26.06)


                                                   day (up to 6 days)




Camping Scout meadow


One adult per day                                                                                                             20% child discount if under 11 years old


One caravan per day (water connection, electricity, toilet)                                                             for more than 7 days 10% discount


Meeting and transport


Meeting in the buss stop near Igate castle


Meeting in Riga and transport to Medni for up to 3 persons


Transport from Medni to Riga for up to 3 persons







Type Quantity Information Distance
Hike 2,9 km Poweroak hike  
Swimming   Aģe river 200 m
BBQ 1 unit    


2 units    
Sports ground      
Rooms for festivities 18 pers    
Baby cot 1 unit    
Nearest bus stop   Igate 3,1 km
Hosts can meet at the nearest station   Igate 3,1 km
Place for tents 10 units    
Trailer parking available 3 units    
Games   Dart board, novuss, badminton, balls  
Facilities appropriate for children  

Sandpit, swing

Berry and mushroom picking      
Gas cooker      

Programs in Latvian, English, Russian

Hosts speak English      
Hosts speak Russian  


Ivars Šmits (English, Latvian, Russian)
phone +371 2 6380 555
Kārlis Šmits (Latvian, Russian)
phone +371 2 6565 914

Vidriži parish
Limbaži district, LV-4013

N 57°22,691' E 24°38,260'

View Larger


Medņi farmstead history

Medņi farmstead is mentioned in archives in 1811, therefore this year we celebrate 200 years of the farmstead. It was also stated in 1839, when Lielvidzemes chart was issued.

The first woo den dwelling house was located about 300 m. south of the currently existing buildings, surrounded back then by forest, by the "big stone". Igates estate baron hosted his servants there. Not far from the house, in the middle of the woods, next to a small lawn was baron’s hunting lodge with a balcony. During rut, beautiful birds - capercaillies gathered at the meadow. It came from there, tha t farmstead carries the name Medņi (Capercaillies)

mednupukes.jpgAt the end of 19th century Igates manor Baron von Pistolkors has built three stone buildings in Medņi, next to the hunting lodge for housing the tenants. Of these, living house built in the 1880, the barn in 1892, a stable/garner in 1894. At the time, Medņi infield was only 3 ha. The Igates estate baron, was not satisfied with tenant hosehold from 1880 to 1895. Therefore, baron imparts the household to his mansion equerry, later elder Augusts Šmits (1865-1937) in 1895. Until 1927 the Šmits family, by cutting down forest and mowing the clearing has extended Medn,u arable land to 20 ha. Livestock farming, grain farming develops. Six children grows up in Augusts and Līze Šmits family.

In 1927 Augusts Šmits presents Mednņi property rights individualy to his son, Osvalds Šmits (1895-1981) with overall land and forest area of 64 ha. After Latvia becomes a free state, a sharp upswing of a farmstead continues: 1929 - the construction of a cart-house, 1930 - the pig shed (was destroyed during the collective farmstead) 1931 – Renovation of the bath building, burned earlier (destroyed during the collective farmstead), 1932 - the construction of a large grain warehouse and the barn (destroyed during the collective farmstead). During the collective farmstead period the historic hunting lodge was also destroyed. 1934 - the log living house is completed. Then the Šmits family leaves the stone house and moves to newly built wooden house. 1935 - the construction of the hayloft.

To 1940 Medņi farmstead was one of the wealthiest in Vidrižu parish. Agricultural products were exported to foreign countries. It gave good income. Houses had electricity, telephone, radio. It was planned to purchase German tractor.

World War II started. After the war, Soviet occupation period started. In 1947, Medņi was included in destroyable households’ lists. Household was deliberately imposed unpayable taxes, since the regime wanted to achieve, that private householders, as a class would perish. In 1949 The Soviet authorities alienate all household property for unpaid taxes. In 1949, the entire Šmits family, including domestic servants, was recorded in the deportable families list. In 1949, on the 25th of March, at night, 11 householders’ families from Vidr ižu parish were taken to Siberia. Šmits family managed to avoid deportation, thanks to a former servant of Medņi, at that time local Communist Party division activist, who secretly uncovered the information about the planed deportation of our family the next night. Several nights, landlord Osvalds Šmits hid in forest edge meadow hay barn, daughter Rasma stayed at friends place  in Vidriži, son Kārlis in Riga, but son Jānis with his grandmother at Vidriži "Austrumi" farmstead. Šmits family was forced to move to live in Riga. Collective farmstead period began in Vidriži. In June, 1949 Osvalds Šmits was arrested in Riga and sentenced for tax evasion. A collective livestock farm was organized in Medņi.

After the restoration of Latvian independence, in July 1990, the Supreme Court of Republic of Latvia rehabilitated Osvalds Šmits. In 1995 the eldest son of Osvalds Šmits, Kārlis Šmits (1933) recovers Medn,i property with lowered and halfly-ruined, 4 of 10 buildings. At first, Kārlis and his wife Laima had plans to farm, but these change with the time. They start to reconstruct better preserved buildings to engage in rural and nature tourism. They pull together the destroyed environment and lease the land. In October 2003 Medn,i passes “Lauku ceļotājs” association certification and becomes a 3 star holiday cottage.

smiti.jpgIn December 2003 Medņi owner of the fourth generation becomes the son of Kārlis and Laima Šmits - Ivars Šmits (1977). Kārlis, Laima, Ivars and his wife Dagnija continue the tourism activities. Medņi is a popular holiday cottage with a pleasant and inspiring Latvian countryside, attended by both local and foreign tourists. In order to expand the territory of Medn,i and recreational opportunities, In 2006, Ivars acquired an additional 10 ha for Medn,i on the West side adjacent meadow with oak and birch groves. In 2009 Ivars comes up with Poweroak idea and trademark. In 2010 spring, as the first service to the new mark, the Poweroak hike is lauched.





Holiday cottage Medņi

Love youre poweroak!

Climb the oak!
Visit the oak!
Enjoy magnificence of the oak!
Foster your poweroak!
Caress the oak!
Greet the oak!
Get the energy of the oak!
Ask the oak for help!
Tell your friends about oaks!
Plant your poweroak!

Monumental trees of Latvia

Map of monumental trees of Latvia

Poweroak's friends


Profile for Poweroak

Profile for Eyesgreen

Flag Counter

Materials used in this webpage: Mr. Guntis Eniņš "100 dižākie un svētākie"; Prof. Pēteris Šmits "Latviešu tautas ticējumi"